Guild of Linguists

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > The Language Room > D'ni ConScript proposal

Korov’ev

Quoting the site:

The ConScript Unicode Registry (CSUR) is a project led by John Cowan and Michael Everson to coordinate the assignment of blocks out of the Unicode Private Use Area (E000-F8FF and 000F0000-0010FFFF) to constructed/artificial scripts, including scripts for constructed/artificial languages.

This project apparently has been around for a long while, but it doesn't yet include the D'ni script. I thought to write a draft for a proposal; suggestions would be very welcome, especially regarding the description (which has to be strictly OOC, for obvious reasons). The glyphs in the Numeral Signs and Miscellaneous Symbols ranges could use better names, too.

Should the DniDings (symbols from the cloths, Ae'gura, Kadish, etc.) be included? I lean towards not, as they're a 'one-shot' dingbats, without room for alternative shapes.

Having D'ni in its own Unicode range obviously means that a custom keyboard layout will be needed. I can try to make one at a later stage; I guess the best layout would be to keep the typical D'ni font mapping (e.g. E -> í, I -> á, T -> þ, etc.), though I'd be inclined to switch d/D and k/K.

The proposal - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pnp0wrg3ygqxbxs/1C5Dx5IW-M

DniDings - http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=99e6cc74f9b647ecab1eab3e9fa335caf64de741b23b30a4

October 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

What do you mean by better names?

They probably shouldn't be included.

--

Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

October 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

I've added a table with the DniDings and a second version of the glyphs table. Unicode reserves quite some space to dingbats, so maybe (part of) the DniDings could be added.

Those boxless numerals are in the DniScript font, and I think I've seen them used in explanations of the numeral system. I think they're unnecessary, but it would mean to throw them away when recoding the font. I'm not sure about the 'wrong' Z and L.

Also, there's that numeral that looks like a superposition of 25 and 6. Maybe it's π. Maybe I shouldn't include it.

October 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

To summarise my latest considerations, I see three options, #2 being the one I like more:

1. only include those characters found in the official Cyan font, i.e. letters, numerals and punctuation;
  2. option #1 plus the color symbols and the odd Z and L (basically covering the DniScript font);
  3. option #2 plus dingbats, including the moiety dagger. They look a bit too many, however.

Hoping this doesn't look like cross-posting, I guess I should write something like the OP in the Moula forum, at some point.

October 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

Proposal approved:

http://www.kreativekorp.com/ucsur/charts/dni.pdf

http://www.kreativekorp.com/ucsur/charts/PDF/UE830.pdf

October 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

That is so cool.

--

Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

October 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

Necroposting to point out the link for the (U)CSUR font, either here under D’ni Resources or in the Font link in my signature!

I haven’t got around making a keyboard layout yet (coming “soon”); in the meantime the Character map is probably the easiest way to type (select Advanced view, click Unicode Subrange, then Private Use Characters at the bottom of the list; select DniScript CSUR from the font list). If you use Notepad++, the Font link also has a few macros (shortcuts.xml) to convert between standards.

Or you can copypaste from the full characters range, here:

                                                                         

--

46116   —  D’ní notesFontsGoodies
.fa  mEstav  Kat  Kenen  xanril  fUru

April 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.