Guild of Linguists

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > The Language Room > New words from Mysterium

Korov’ev

A post from the Mysterium tumblr mentions some new words, presented by K’laamas:

• tikoleet: sorry (literally: sorrowful)
  • tishmah: friend
  • tishmoy: my friend
  • foosahtahv: name
  • lenitah: idiot
  • votahnah: truth
--

46116   —  D’ní notesFontsGoodies
.fa  mEstav  Kat  Kenen  xanril  fUru

August 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Khreestrefah

Comparing shorah 'peace' and its derivative shoraht 'peaceful' suggests that tikoleet 'sorrowful' is derived from *tikolee 'sorrow'.

It is interesting that in tishmoy 'my friend' we have elision of the final ah of tishmah 'friend', even though we do not see this, for example, in oolbahoy 'my office' derived from oolbah 'office'.  Perhaps the difference is a matter of frequency of occurrence.

The noun foosahtahv 'name' is of course the expected derivative of the verb foosah- 'call', recently revealed in the translation Rawa provided for Orz.

It should be noted that the blog cites the word lenitah as follows:

'-our first D’ni insult! in first draft of Book of Atrus —“!lenitah” - idiot'

The use of quote marks suggests that the exclamation-initial puncutation was present in the draft, leading one to wonder whether it represents something actually existing in the written D'ni form of this utterance.

The noun votahnah 'truth' is reminiscent of votahr 'praise' and perhaps also volah 'yes', given the semantics.  It may be that the ending -ahnah is connected with that seen in bahtsahnah 'map' and tee'ahna 'storyteller'.  Possibly the root idea of ahnah is 'to tell, relate, convey (information)'.

August 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

Ainia has also related K'laamas' list to me, and she includes kebab 'journey'

--

Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

August 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

We are 4 words short of the One Ring inscription

We can however attempt a rendition of the inscription on the Doors of Durin (I’ve used ‘modern’ punctuation for ease of reading):

rekocatíox Durin, porpaox Moria: mísema, tišma, ga arema! Narvi, kobarel íst. Kelebrimbor co Eregion kogelen hevtí met.

I was tempted to write “zú, Narvi, kobarel” but as far as I know  can’t be used that way.

Also, Celebrimbor actually “drew” the letters, but I could only find an irregular šulen, “drawn”.

--

August 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Khreestrefah

This might be a case where the D'ni would use their "past progressive/passive" idiom; thus --

.b'zoo Nahrvee kodobahreleet = by me, Narvi, they were made.

On kebab 'journey' I would note that we have a word with this same gloss, lenah 'journey'.

Shorah,

Kh'reestrefah

August 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

That sounds better, indeed. (But shouldn’t it be t’zoo?)

It would be useful to see these new words in context :)

--

August 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

For kebab we have ?dho kokenen kebaboy = how was your journey?

--

August 5, 2014 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Khreestrefah

Korov'ev: Yes, I should have said t'zoo -- I even thought that, but my brain is not always connected to my fingers :)

Kathryn: What you posted cannot be entirely correct -- so given that it is now "4th hand" information, I am inclined to reserve judgement on its authenticity.  It is interesting though!

Just for the heck of it:

.grahner fah b’poget eest biv  .grahner fah b’hoor eest

.grahner fah b’nem eest biv gah tre’okoth b’lahsah eest

August 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

In theory, I can get essentially 2nd-hand info, since I know Ainia is meticulous, and she says she took photos of K'laamas' notebook.

--

August 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

Ok, panic over. Ainia's autocorrect mauled her message, and she didn't pick up on that one.

--

August 6, 2014 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

I've got a bunch of pictures from Ainia, including a letter written in D'ni to K'laamas, and a translated menu. I will upload the pictures to the site shortly for your pleasure. There are a few words here and there which I can't translate.

--

August 6, 2014 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

Here are the Doors and here is the Ring... the Ring is of course written in ‘black speech’ :D

--

August 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

D'you mean the Ring is written in the alphabet employed by Atrus' Prayer?

--

August 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

By the way, the Mysterium snaps are on the site. Feel free to add any more pics.

Now, if you look at the menu (page 1), at the bottom is a section headed by boogintee. The first item on the menu is chor bahkh with a note terthreestahv rilchil; wotsah b'bree pahm wotsah b'rish. It would appear that reestahv should be translated as 'dish (of food)' or 'serving (of food)'. rilchil is 'un-main', but whatever that's supposed to mean is beyond me. The second line suggests that wotsah might mean something more like 'cooked' (maybe when used in a culinary sense?), as it would be natural to assume the line means 'rare or well done (or w/e inbetween)'. And then there's chor bahkh at the top. We have a clue as to what this means, at long last! Is it a meat dish, as the note above and four of the options below suggest? But me gilotee speaks against this - how does one obtain meat from plants? me riltahgahmin is unhelpful - that's the mystery dish.

On the next page is an unhelpful ikhah nijuets listed under reestahv rilchil. Under gilotee there appears to be a spelling mistake: neyte should be neytee. Also in that dish is t'bonoy - does this mean 'in sauce'? Under khrezu we find reshahokh telrov ventus. Who was Guildsman Ventus? And what is (re)shah? Under glahstahvtee we find a compound at first familiar, but new: tahmahno. My first thought is that this is an alcoholic drink, but what exactly I don't know. Note that there's an oglahn version. This suggests wine, or another drink left to age.

--

August 8, 2014 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Khreestrefah

For context I believe we need to imagine certain D'ni language enthusiasts (including Nisan and K'laamas, I think) gathered at an earlier Mysterium in Spokane (probably in 2006 -- <3><5><6>;), and sharing a meal at the Red Robin restaurant, when they realized that in written D'ni you could convey the idea of some of the phrases in the menu.  Thus for example boogin tromets 'winged red creature' is used to convey "Red Robin."

Since chil 'main could refer to a "main dish" then rilchil would be something 'not' a main dish, i.e. a "side" or accompanying dish.

Either chor bahkh or ikhah nijuhets must be a "meat-filled roll," with the former being more likely, as the one mentioned first in The Book of Ti'ana.  In the Red Robin menu this is probably supposed to convey "burger."  Thus me uhrwin is either a turkey burger or a chicken burger, and me gilotee is the "garden" burger.  This may not necessarily have been meatless, but may mean only that it does not have additions like chili, cheese, bacon, or a second beef patty, but just has lots of vegetables added: lettuce, tomatoe, pickle, onion, etc.

I think maybe tahmahno is a subtle pun on "Coke" with tahmahno oglahn being "Classic Coke."

August 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Khreestrefah

Somehow near the end of my first paragraph in the previous post my indication of the D'ni symbol for "red" was lost, further obscuring the speculative point that Nisan may have attempted his "translation" of the Red Robin menu because using the symbol for red made it possible to write out a phrase approximating "red robin" even though in 2006 we did not know the word for 'red".

August 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

That does make alot of sense.

--

August 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Korov’ev

By the way, is there any confirmation that all these new words have been vetted by RAWA?

--

August 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

Ask K'laamas?

--

August 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Carolyn

Guild Captain Ventus was the person who was given control of the Age of Teledahn after Hinahsh's death. He continued the tradition of making bread out of the spores of the mushrooms in the Age (therefore, shah must mean bread). Also note on page one, under khreglotahv, the first item is netsotahvokh teledahn; reshah shetenin okh oonray hilahsh. Hinahsh's name has been misspelled, and shetenin has been used instead of shetenahl, but the meaning appears to be "The cherished bread of Hinahsh", again with shah being used in the place of "bread"

--

December 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.