Guild of Linguists

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > D'ni Language Restoration Project > Proposals

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

Update: Solid proposals from the Submissions thread will be posted here.

--

Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

May 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Khreestrefah

Kathryn: I have a feeling that people are not going to be led naturally into discussion of submisions if they have to go to one thread to see what others have submitted and then to another to post their thoughts. And of course the mechanisms of the forum itself (being designed for casual give and take rather than considered discussion) actually encourage the opposite, telling one to "Post a Quick Reply" to whatever has just been said.

I suggest that you allow the discussion to proceed at is own pace in the New Submissions thread, and that there be a guild-member volunteer in charge of auditing that thread and extracting actual proposals and posting them here.  It would be up to that person to decided whether there is any general interest in the submission and a consensus that it is consistent with our sense of the logic and aesthetic of the rest of the language.  This Proposal thread would remain open but only for "last minute" objections or corrections, and would thereby provide a relatively succint listing of proposed ideas.  (If someone thought of a completely new direction to go with a particular form or meaning they could post another new submission in that thread.)

Presumably, then Kathryn (or whoever is in charge of the Review thread, which is otherwise locked) would promote proposals from this thread, for consideration by RAWA.

August 8, 2014 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

My original intentions were for the project to not be part of the forums at all, but that'll take a lot of effort, and is currently beyond my abilities. But given the forum structure, my plan was to have the list in the other thread, and people pick and choose words from there to discuss here. A more ideal approach would be to give each word its own thread, as with the DLF DLRP, but I can't do that (this forum does not allow nesting that far). That said, your idea is probably better, so I'll do some rewriting in that direction.

--

Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

August 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.