Guild of Linguists

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > The Language Room > The Translation Desk

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

This is a thread for texts of any length to be translated into D'ni. I was spurred to make this by this thread on the Cyan forums. The sentence in question is 'And some days, the only words I can find to trust in are mine', and my attempted translation is .gah yahrtee tren, rehevtee lahn mot hoor voohee b'pahnte keneet sahethoy

Any corrections or alterations you think should be made?

--

Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

December 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

Oh, here's a quick gloss.

and day-pl some, the-word-pl only which find-I can to-trust-in (see b'shentome) be-they own-my

--

December 27, 2013 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Talashar

The only qualm I have is that I'm not sure if a noun phrase like yahrtee tren can be used like a temporal adverb by itself, but it's not clear what preposition D'ni would use otherwise.  Other than that, looks good to me.

--

Talashar Geltahn; Ki 183867 An overview of D'ni grammar | My books

December 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Khreestrefah

The examples we have of time phrases used adverbially, relenah shentoen yahrtee sen; kokeelaheet erth gahrtahvotee khah, compared to kodokenen ferem ben tonah b’rish, might suggest that without a preposition time refers to duration of the action, with ben understood. If this is how Kath's sentence would be understood, then the resulting meaning is not that far from the target English, but slightly different: "And for some days, the only words I can find to trust in are my own." Perhaps adding an explicit preposition f' would make more sense in D'ni: .gah f'yahrtee tren … "And on some days, …"

January 1, 2014 at 9:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KathTheDragon
Site Owner

That probably would be closer to the intended meaning.

--

January 2, 2014 at 3:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KorovÂ’ev

. ago  malain  bregalpo  rilesa

Welcome to the Open Cave

The shard name: lacking an explicit word for ‘open’, I used the ‘unrestrained’ meaning of the word, and used the irregular participle of lasa. I’ve also omitted one l, following the te(l)lúk example.

‘Welcome’: many languages use the form ‘well-come’ (ben-venuto, will-kommen, dobro požalovat, etc.), so I assumed D’ni would use it too. I’ve put ago before malain because I thought the opposite has the different meaning of ‘coming well, in good shape’.

--

46116   —  D’ní notesFontsGoodies
.fa  mEstav  Kat  Kenen  xanril  fUru

October 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.